top of page
  • Writer's picture고플릿

The Complete Guide to the E-7 Visa in Korea: A Simple Guide for Professionals

Updated: Dec 5, 2023

workers e7 visa korea

If you are thinking about working in a different country, understanding how to get a work visa can be hard. If you want to work in Korea and you are a professional, you might need an E-7 visa. This article explains the main things you need to know about the E-7 visa in Korea in a way that is easy to understand.

I. What is the E-7 Visa?

The E-7 visa is for foreign professionals (E-7 Foreign National of Special Ability Visa) who have a contract to do specialized work in Korea. This visa allows you to live and work in Korea, typically in fields where you need specific knowledge or skills.

II. Who Can Apply for the E-7 Visa?

Professional (E-7-1)

Semi-Professional (E-7-2)

General Skilled Worker (E-7-3):

Skilled Worker under the Point System (E-7-4)

  • You need to have a contract with a Korean employer or organization.

  • You should have professional skills or qualifications in your field.

  • The Korean organization that wants to hire you must meet certain requirements set by the Korean government.

Applicants must hold one of the following:

  • A bachelor's degree and at least one year of work experience in the relevant field

  • At least 5 years of work experience in the relevant field

  • A master's degree or higher in their field of work

III. How to Apply for the E-7 Visa

  1. Employer Initiates Application: The Korean employer starts the process by submitting documents to the Korean immigration office.

  2. Preliminary Approval: Once there is initial approval, you can apply for the visa at a Korean consulate or embassy in your country.

  3. Submit Required Documents: You will need documents like your employment contract, qualifications, and a valid passport.

IV. E-7 Visa Duration and Extensio

  • The E-7 visa is granted for up to 3 years initially.

  • You can extend it based on your employment contract and if you meet other conditions.

V. E-7 Visa Limitations

  • There are rules about changing jobs and doing activities not specified in the visa.

  • Breaking the visa terms can lead to penalties or even deportation.

VI. Necessary Documents

E-7 Fees and Applicable Countries
Download PDF • 69KB

The documents you need might vary, but generally include:

  • Resume

  • A letter of approval stating the necessity of hiring a foreign worker (from a domestic company)

  • Employment certificate (foreign employment certificates must be translated (English/Korea), apostilled, and notarized by a Korean overseas consulate

  • Apostilled copies of educational and professional certificates

  • A separate letter of recommendation for the following jobs: travel manager, event planer, medical coordinator, hotel receptionist, halal butcher, aircraft mechanic, tourism interpretation guide, travel package developer, accomational and leisure management, transportation manager, announcer, aquaculture technician, finance and insurance expert (without a degree), manufacturing manager, and shipbuilding welder.

Important Points to Remember

  • Start Early: The visa process take 1-3 months, so start as early as possible.

  • Check Specific Requirements: The exact documents you need may vary, so check the specific requirements for your situation.

  • Follow the Rules: Once in Korea, make sure to adhere to the terms of your visa to avoid any complications.

VII. Frequently Asked Questions for E-7 Applicants (FAQ)

What is an E-7 Visa?

Who is eligible for an E-7 Visa?

How long is the E-7 Visa valid for?

Can E-7 Visa holders bring their family to Korea?

Are there any language requirements for the E-7 Visa?

Where can I apply for an E-7 Visa?

Can I change my current visa to an E-7 Visa while in Korea?

What documents do I need to apply for an E-7 Visa?

Can E-7 Visa holders apply for permanent residency?

Can I work for any employer with an E-7 Visa?

For the most accurate and up-to-date information, check the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or book a consultation online.

The E-7 visa in Korea is a great option for professionals with specific skills wanting to work in Korea. The process may seem daunting, but by understanding the basics and following the steps diligently, it can be manageable. Always refer to official resources or consult with immigration professionals for advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

shuttle delivery korea

‍Use code FLEETKR to get ₩4000 off your next Shuttle order!

3,198 views5 comments


Coldest Sprite
Coldest Sprite
Apr 15

Can you apply for an E-7 visa if you're working remotely in Korea for a foreign company (e.g. A Software Developer living in Korea and working remotely (from home situated in Korea) for a US company), or is it mandatory that the company be physically situated in Korea?

Apr 19
Replying to

Hello Coldest Sprite, The E-7 visa is for foreign workers at Korean companies, so the company would need to be in and registered in Korea. If you're looking to extend your stay in Korea while working for a US company, we recommend checking out the new Digital Nomad Visa. You can apply at the nearest embassy, both at home and abroad.


Min Thami
Min Thami
Apr 01

I am excited but. How to apply I didn't. No I need help visa private


Feb 01

I want apply e7 korean visa

Feb 12
Replying to

Hello! If you're currently living in Korea and looking to apply for an E-7 visa, we recommend booking a consultation through the official website at or filling out the application and bringing it to your local Office of Immigration.

If you are outside of Korea, contact the Korean Embassy or Consulate in your home country. You can find a list of these diplomatic missions and their contact information here.

Also, you can visit the portal at to get the most up-to-date information about visas in Korea.

I hope this helps!

bottom of page